FAQ's Commissioning an artwork for your wedding or event. All clients are advised to read and review the FAQs and Terms of Service, prior to booking an order. If you have an invoice, that will also reflect that your completion of payment is acknowledgement that you have read and reviewed these Terms of Service and Orders. Please read all carefully. Thank You.
1. How much does it cost? This is the obvious and first thing most need to know. The cost depends on the design, and labor involved, the size, etc. 1001 crane artworks start at $495.00 for Book/Labor. The cost of an elegant, suitable frame, (black shiny w/gold insert frame *or other.) with shipping, is a second payment. I will discuss frames and other options. Most designs fit into this (booked 6 mos in advance) - $495 for labor. - but large or custom works can cost more. depending on the design and labor involved and the frame needed to compliment the work. Other questions below will help explain the costs. So let's explore the questions of cost right up front. The costs for suitable frames for these works has increased.
Cost for labor for 2020-21 is $495 reg, $595 more extensive design work, and $750 Rush. Origami Designs is still booking for the 20/21 calendar year. A Booked commission due for delivery 3 months or earlier is considered RUSH. Please email if you need an artwork Rush inquire about availability! I need your cranes 3 mos before delivery, so on a Rush I need your cranes when we book your order!
Cost to ship is additional, but I keep that as low as possible! Please be aware that shipping ground UPS to Hawaii or Alaska is considerable higher. . Shipping to a US location mainland location (regular ground shipping ) depending on finished size, and more for RUSH), the same item to HI or AK can be $250 to $400 added for regular shipping. These items need to be shipped one month or less, in advance of your due delivery date. The second pymt to "frame/ship" will include that shipping in the total quote. Normally to US mainland West of Mississippi the frame/ ship total is $550.00 (that is frame & ship. To Hawaii, frame/ship is $625 to $685.00. )
2. Can I get it done cheaper somewhere else? People do ask. Yes I think you can, but my price is competitive with most reputable artists (for these works) charge the same or more, and I try to give my clients the best quality, keep the costs low, and keep it affordable. I am located on the mainland USA and shipping is less costly for those in the US proper. The cost of the artwork, includes the backing board or canvas, materials, glues, supplies, *designs work - whenever possible. material your cranes are mounted on, the final finished professional look of the framing and presentation. Many days and hours of labor in design work, crane placement, frame preparation, assembly, counting, even packaging for the finished artwork, goes into this process.
3. Why does it cost so much? You are commissioning a custom art work from an established and experienced artist, in this art form. Just like a painting or sculpture there is labor, talent, time, materials, involved in producing the finished product which is all done by hand. The artist takes great care (at Origami Designs) to present a piece that is well done, and is quality work. It is an investment, a one of a kind, original artwork. The artwork takes hours and hours from start to finish. The process is weeks of communicating with the client, assisting in design choice, approval of sketches, emails, phone calls. There is the skill and time devoted to managing the layout of 1000 cranes in your artwork. I work to keep the size manageable and affordable for the framing and display. I mount on good quality black fabric or professional framers backing, (at$80 a sheet). -which presents problems at times managing the work, but gives the most professional look. It improves the final quality and endurance of the artwork, and makes for more professional look when framed/ This is now included in the framing costs (of $550 as a backing board can cost $40 - 80) It is a labor of love and as an artist I take care to do quality work.
4. Does the cost include cranes or framing? There is the cost for labor and materials, designs work, etc. listed above under labor. . The cost of the frame/ship is a second payment. When I moved from So CA to my new studio the cost to frame decresed but it the same custom framing! Shiny black lacquer look frames are more expensive and the gold insert adds to cost and labor. Frames with gold trim cost more. Silver frames cost more, and these frames in metal cost more. If you select a silver design on blue fabric and want a silver frame, I might quote a little higher for the finished artwork. Most frames run from $300 to $600 depending on your indicated choice of simple elegant black, shiny black with gold, simple black with gold, or silver, with a gold or silver insert. You can see from the Frame/Ship cost, I keep this as low as possible, I do not inflate or make profit from frame and shipping.
Framing is done by a professional framer in his shop. They are inspected and photographed before shipping. They arrive ready to hang. Transporting your framed artwork is at your risk. It is meant to hang on a wall. Moving it around, showing it, or moving it around from place to event is not advised, and any shifting of the artwork, damage to glass or frame is possible and Origami Designs is not responsible from damage that occurs due to movement, hanging in damp areas or direct sunlight etc, bumping or shaking of the artwork. It is costly for you to have to open a framed work to fix damage to your artwork.
Cranes cost extra if Origami Designs provides the folded cranes. . Many choose to follow the tradition and fold the cranes. Some fold to save money. Origami Designs charges $400 to fold and supply the 1000 cranes (this includes the cost of the papers) and we need three months notice to fold the cranes. Other artists might insist on folding the cranes to insure quality of folding and they in turn charge more for the finished piece, adding in this cost. I give you the option and reveal the cost breakdown.
Origami Designs will frame and ship, in traditional suitable black or other, ( for about $550 - 700.00HI & AK) simple but appropriate black frame. The insert is included in the cost. If you want a simple silver frame (with silver cranes) it might cost a little more and will be detailed to you in the cost. A frame is chosen to compliment the size and shape or your design with an artistic eye and the help of the framer and their artistic eye. It is difficult and challenging to frame these pieces and not damage or injure the designs. Metal frames in any color cost more. Black lacquer look frames now costs more (as black is so popular in interior designs now) We allow enough "air space" around your designs so as not to crowd it, but it is so expensive to frame, that we do not always put so much space around your design as some might like to see. The artwork is guaranteed only as long as it is the original frame and not displayed in direct sunlight. There are 1001 cranes with tiny points that can be damaged or bent changing the entire look of the artwork if not framed properly. If you choose to have your artwork reframed then the OD is not responsible to repair or fix. Another framer may actually damage the work, positions, points of the cranes of the design when reframing. Origami Designs stays with the framer when possible and works with the framer to be sure your work is framed as best possible. I will not ship unframed.
If a client wishes to take their artwork to a framer for reframing in a different frame, our caution is to please take care. Certainly a competent framer could be cautioned to take care with the artwork itself so as not to damage or change it. I will NOT ship the work unframed.
5. What about the cranes? Do I fold them? Is it bad luck if others fold them? Where do I get the papers? What size papers do I use? What color papers do I fold? Can I have other colors? Do I have to use foil papers? It was tradition that a bride and the family of the bride and groom might fold the cranes, but anyone can fold your cranes. It is not bad luck if the bride does not fold them.
You can buy the papers from an online origami paper store, or in local stores that might sell a selection of origami papers. Check Ebay and Amazon or Asian markets and shops in your area. If you need we can purchase the papers for you, and bill you and ship them to you for folding. Please use 3 X 3" or (or smaller) paper squares for folding your cranes. These must be precisely cut and carefully folded.
The tradition is a 1001 cranes used in a wedding design, often gold. But you can use gold or silver or red, or a combination of colored foil papers of the same size. Discuss the design and color of papers with the artist if you are not sure what you want or will look best. Foil papers make the most beautiful and stunning mosaics and are traditional. If you are going to fold your own cranes and supply them please confirm the kind, and paper with the artist!
If you provide me with the folded cranes, please click here to see how the cranes need to be folded and send them to me in this way. If the cranes are not folded neatly the work does not look professional or beautiful. I, as an artist will do the best I can to place your cranes in a pleaseing design. REMEMBER, I will not reproduce, minic, or mirror copy another artists' design. I can do "similar placement of koi or cranes, but each is individual and unique not copied from another artist!.
6 When do I need to order my artwork & request 4- 12mos notice of intent, and need to have the finished folded cranes 3mos prior to your delivery due date. Depending on my schedule I might accept a booking with less lead time! There are always exceptions. Wedding in 6 weeks?...., please call to see if I can do your work! This is the date you wish to have your finished mosaic. Ideally, I need that two months to dedicate to the design work, and placement, and framing. Frames must be ordered and paid for two weeks in advance of framing. If I can make an exception and you were not able to call 4mos in advance I will consider your piece, it depends on the schedule of the artist and other orders that preceed yours.
I will not take an order or promise to do a artwork unless I feel I can devote the time needed to do your work properly. I will not take a commission to do artwork if I feel the design chosen cannot be suitably translated into the designs using the cranes themselves. I can suggest other methods I use to mount the cranes in a simple or artistic design and then put the chosen design over that layer of cranes. But I will not take an order if I fell I cannot execute it to the satisfaction of the client and my own design standards. Treasure Boxes are beautiful, usefull no need to frame, saving costs & can be made from your cranes in less time.
7. What about rush orders? A rush order is anything ordered and agreed to, less than 3 months in advance of your deliver date needed. Yes, I do some rush orders on mosaics. But this is only after special arrangements with the artist.
I will never do a rush order if I think it would jeopardize my ability to
do our best quality work on the mosaic. If I cannot do your work properly
and deliver on time, I will not do the work. Rush orders are subject to the artist being able to commit to the time to complete your mosaic on time. Rush orders require the same payment of LABOR COST due up front, with an additional balance before I frame to ship. Note: Rush Charge is added as the artist might have to postpone or lose other paying pieces to finish your artwork.
8. If I don't have a design in mind, where or how do I pick a design for my artwork?
Send an email with your initial inquiry. Let me know you are searching for a suitable, personal and unique design for you as a couple. By phone or email, after a few questions, I can help you find your design. I can recommend sites to visit, ideas to think about, etc. If you want me to sketch something, we'll discuss it and work on it this way. If you have a family crest, special likes, favorite items. I can help you get the right design for you! See even more designs below. Please keep in mind that most mosaic designs - all which include 1001 cranes - are a finished framed size of about 30X30, 33X33, 35 X 40, or larger. They are large works of art to display on your wall. Please be aware they cannot be made smaller by the nature of placing 1001 cranes.
Origami Designs lists a number of standard and popular designs and idea on the front page of our Mosaic website, accessible from the front page of our website here. See weddings. Fish, Kanji, Cranes, Bird, Zodiac, fans, crests, Animals, Birds and more.
I have been given design ideas from greetings card, even cookie cutters. The artist will work with you. A design sketched (es) for you is sent by email after payment of $50.00.(depends on the complexity of the design requested) I take great care to sketch your designs and alternatives. Once I send the design to you, you can use it or not. Artists need to protect their work. Some clients will take a long worked designed to another artist for work. So I charge for any designs, specifically made for you by Origami Designs. Most clients find pictures and ideas from the many sites we recommend, or choices I send to them that are free. Only about 30% of clients have really specific and unique custom designs made up for them.
9 We have the cranes folded and we know the design we want, - how do we proceed?
Most of the time if you are ready to go and feel comfortable with me and my process then you book by making the up-front Book/Labor payment amount due.
You can send a check for the Book/Labor payment due, but I do not start work until the check has cleared and we set a date for that. Or I can send you an invoice for payment from PayPal and you can pay with credit or debit card. You will get an invoice receipt from PayPal, an acknowledgement from me by email and I will start work on your artwork. I can even put a PayPal button on the website for convenient payment of the half due, and again the balance before shipment or upon pickup.
You send me your cranes, you send an approval of the design by email, make payment and I start work and am committed to your artwork and delivery on time.
I will keep in touch by email as to progress on your artwork. I will ask about delivery due date, shipping address, how you wish to take possession - through direct pickup, or delivery by USPS, UPS or Fed Exp, etc.
10. What are the shipping costs and or arrangements for my pickup? Shipping cost can be quoted to you with your zipcode, and this cost is added to the final payment of the balance due, made at pickup or prior to shipment. I insure it always. In the USA for a 34X34 inch Artwork, framed and insured (within the US) you can budget for $200 - 300 (Hawaii and Alaska) or less shipping. Shipping costs at UPS and FED EXP have gone up. Packing costs to prevent damage has gone up. I pay for the sturdy boxes wrappings and packing materials, tape, etc. It costs to ship these big artworks. . I pack it very well for shipment and use plexiglass to keep down the weight and damage potential when shipping. International shipments are quoted early in the process before an order commitment is made. The shipping is included in that frame/ship quote of $550 - 700.00(Hi & AK)! (covers frame and shipping)
11 Do you own copyright to my artwork when it is done?. This seems like a strange question but I have been asked it. No Origami Designs submits our design for proper copyright in the US and the client does not own the design copyright. Even if another client likes your design, each one is individual and I try to make them all custom, individual and special for the wedding couple!
If you request a custom design) that you want no one else to use I will not publish it online.
12. What if I am not happy with the design after it is finished.? * I make every effort to communicate to my clients before and during the process or decision making process. The work is custom and well made, IF you change your mind or circumstances change and you cancel or default on your order after your initial payment (is made to book & start your order) this money is not refundable. When you book I have blocked off those weeks on my calendar for your design work. Payment in full is necessary before the designs ships to the client. It is not a refundable expense. If you do not want your artwork and do not pay the balance due, it will not be shipped. IF you have paid your balance due, the finished artwork will ship to you, as it is yours to do with as you wish. The art and design is client specific.. An artist spends many hours and much time on the artwork. A specific family crest or mon, a very personal design, might not appeal to another client. You are purchasing a well made custom commissioned artpiece, and individualistic work that is yours. If the design work is finished, the client notified and billed for frame and shipping and the client defaults to pay that second payment for frame and shipping within 48 hrs of billing (especially on rush orders) then the client has defaulted on the understood contract and forfeits the designs work. There are no exceptions to this. The client is advised at the beginning of the process that once they pay the artist is obligated to execute the work, and the client responsible for the framing and shipping cost as well.
Cranes shaped like cranes cannot be formed into every design that a client might choose. The cranes are used mostly folded with heads and tails not showing. Two sizes of cranes might be used in your design. Some cranes might be hidden under other cranes and not even seen by the viewer. Terribleyfolded cranes, that would not look good anywhere in the design, might be hidden or replaced with better folded cranes. The designs is made and assembled and executed as best we can to make a pleasing design but it is yours and cannot be sold to another. Design changes after the artist starts placing the cranes cannot be executed or guaranteed, or agreed to in many circumstances.
Every effort is made to do quality work with your cranes. One client complained of food in her artwork. It was determined that the "food" a minute piece of corn chip!.... had been hidden in her folded cranes and surfaced during the movement of shipping her artwork. Origami Designs has no control over your cranes, the quality or the cleanliness of your cranes. Every effort is made to work in a clean studio, to frame in a clean professional framers shop, the greatest care is taken with your artwork. If your wedding is cancelled or postponed, your finished artwork mosaic will be shipped to you and no payment refunded, unless there is an agreement prior and specifically agreed to by the artist in writing by contract when the work is commissioned. . Exceptions to this are very rare.
13. Have you ever had someone refuse to take or pay for a finished artwork, or try to return one? No. With good communication and time to discuss designs, and the process, and the expectations of the finished artwork, this has not been an issue. One client with reservations, was totally pleased when they received and saw the finished product and art. If a client defaults or expresses a dislike of the finished work and/or does not make final payment, they forfeit their initial payment and the work becomes the property of Origami Designs to be kept or sold at will. Once the work is finished, paid for, and shipped it is final. It is then the property of the client to do with as they wish. A framer might also attest to the care and quality of frames and framing work.
Shipping information is kept on all clients with insurance on all shipments. This insurance is for the artist to use to replace and redo an artwork that is truly damaged in shipment. It is very difficult to get these claims honored by the shippers these days. Designs that are claimed "damaged" and then different design requested by a client will not changed. Insurance only tries to guarantee the artist who ships, the value and monitory compensation to replace the artwork for the buyer. It can take months for a claim to be honored and many more months for the artist to redo the same artwork (which is never exactly the same as the first) and reship. The client may be required to reship the damaged product at their expense, to the artist or to prove to the shippment was with damage and that is was was done by them. I caution my client to photograph the package on arrival and must send and email with photos of the damaged box and artwork within 12 hours of delivery. I If the shipper does not acknowledge it, you may have no claim.
Origami Designs makes every effort to produce a piece that is beautiful and well made. Each artwork is different, No two are exactly alike even if they are the same design. As an artist I take pride in the work on these pieces. They are individual artworks made totally by hand. The full cranes with head and tail does not show always, and often is not actually seen in the design. If you are unsure about what it will look like, please email me for close-ups on how cranes are actually placed. Your first payment on the work is NOT refundable. The artwork is not shipped or delivered until full payment is made. I guarantee my work when ordered with frame and framed prior to shipment. Pieces shipped unframed can be damaged in shipment, in opening, or by your framer and I do not accept responsibility for that event. It is a commissioned artwork and I do everything possible to discuss, get approval of the designs and complete the work as per your design choice.
I hope these questions answer most of what you might want to know when making the decisions about your artwork and artist. You are encouraged and welcome to communicate by email with other questions or for clarification!
Origami artwork Artist